Friday, December 5, 2014

"Diversity" - submitted by JESSICCA (not Jenny)

I would like to talk about a recent article By Marielle Legair called “A Cultural Code: Will the PR Profession Ever Reflect the Society It Serves?” This article explains how Marielle is one of very few black, female public relations professionals and how the concept of diversity should be simple to grasp.

Marielle explains that accepting diversity is as easy as three simple steps.  First accept that everyone looks different.  This is self-explanatory.  By accepting that everyone looks different and speaking to everyone as whole, this will help messages to be received effectively.  This does not mean to eliminate culture, just simple embrace it and make necessary changes for languages barriers.

Second, recognize the value in diversity.  Marielle explains that having friends from different cultures makes the process rich with synergy.  I think that having the knowledge of how to relay messages to many different cultures is beautiful.  I also think that having different cultures in the room allows you to have the best possible sounding board.  This means you can make sure your message is sent in the right context at all times.

Third, she says that your network is your net worth.  This applies to everyone everywhere.  Having professionals that you keep in touch with that are related to your field is an asset that is very valuable.  I feel that being able to pick up the phone and figure out the answer to any question is amazing.  I appreciate having those people in my corner when I need it.

There is diversity in our world and that is what makes it amazing.  Having many different cultures allows us to continue learning and developing.  It is also important to keep in mind we need it in the business world to help reach those different cultures.  Without learning about a culture or having someone who knows the culture we are setting ourselves up for failure, and possibly even hatred from others. 


4 comments:

  1. I would like to start off by saying I really enjoyed reading this article. I think the main point’s mentions are great. Without diversity everything would be the same, and that would be boring. Without it, there would be no need for anything really because everyone would want the same thing. Meeting and having friends from different cultures is awesome. I learned things I never would have even thought of and I really like how you mentioned the networking part. Even though they are half way around the world, they are my good friends and would be happy to help me out. Besides, having something different makes you stand out from the competition and just might land you the job. Overall I really enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with the three tips to improve cultural diversity in the PR profession recommended by Marielle Legair. Not only in the workplace but also in a group of publics who is interested in a certain firm are culturally diversified. When one of the employees in one firm is recognized as a racist or very biased person by public, the firm will have irrecuperable damages. Thus, PR professionals should see differences among everyone as one's strengths. Once the professionals do that, they will be able to have team members with different but very strong skills committed to the firm. Once people see other races or others from different culture as human beings same as them, they will be able to see and find stronger power and how important everyone is in their firm. This article is for not only PR professionals but also anyone who is working with people from different cultures or is seeking to get a job and students who are doing group projects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessicca, I really enjoyed your discussion. It is extremely important to accept different cultures and realize that everyone looks different in speaking to all people as a whole in today’s global world. I also believe that “different cultures makes the process rich with synergy.” Learning to live with and respect a variety of people’s cultures and backgrounds is necessary as our world is constantly changing. It is a great article!
    Minji

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am enjoy to read this article. Diversity is an important element for PR. From PR standard point, they need collect all the information from different cultures, genders and background. Get more knowledge from different kinds of people will help ourselves to think more comprehensive, it will also help us during the work, let us think more before we make decision.

    ReplyDelete